Use the button the the right to securely donate to the Justice & Peace Advocacy Center through PayPal.
JPAC seeks to educate and raise awareness among the general population, support solidarity projects, and provide emergency and limited social services according to Catholic Social Doctrine.
Our work seeks to benefit the immigrant, migrant and seasonal worker community of Northern Michigan, but also includes the low-income community at large of Northern Michigan.
Since at least 1997, Gladys Muñoz and Fr. Wayne Dziekan of the Diocese of Gaylord have served migrant workers in northern Michigan. Gladys and Fr. Wayne also began to build community awareness of immigrant and migrant-worker issues in Michigan and at the US/Mexico border. With increased publicity and financial support from the community, JPAC was registered as a Michigan non-profit in 2006.
JPAC has organized trips to the US/Mexican Border, Puerto Rico, Bolivia, Peru and within Michigan to immerse participants in migrant and immigrant issues.
JPAC is currently most active in providing emergency funds and community services to migrants, promoting Fair Trade products and organizations, providing interpretation and mental health and translation services, assisting to fill out forms, making phone calls, assisting to access public, community, and medical services, visiting jails, arranging transportation to medical appointments and providing transportation and advocacy for appointments to immigration offices and the Mexican Consulate in Detroit.
JPAC was accredited 501(c)(3) status in December, 2014 in order to broaden its outreach.
- Adult Basic Education (especially Literacy)
- Citizenship Classes
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
- Círculos de Salud (Circles of Health), support “circles” for the mental and spiritual health of farmworkers.
Arranging trips and meetings to inform the public of the realities and challenges facing the Hispanic/Latino and immigrant population in Northern Michigan.
Limited Social Services
- Assisting with Access and Financial Support for Legal, Medical and Mental Health Services
- Assisting with navigation through the Immigration System
- Providing Language Interpretation and Translation Services
- Providing Transportation to and from Medical and other appointments.
Support of Local and Global Solidarity Projects
- Fair Trade
- Co-operatives of artisans or growers
- Community Shelters (homeless, migrant, women’s)
- Adoption Services
- Catholic Human Services
We Would Greatly Welcome Your Interest and Support!
- Grant Writing/Event Organization
- Teach ESL or Basic Literacy
Photos of Our Work
Photos by Taro Yamasaki. Click for a larger view.